Alexandria Project Pledge Drive
We’re making history by saving history. Join us!
Shumla’s mission is to preserve the oldest “books” in North America – the rock art murals of southwest Texas. Like ancient books, these murals hold information we can now decipher. They reveal chapters of our history that no one has read in thousands of years.
Shumla has recently launched a four-year project to record all of these rock art sites before they are lost. We call it the “Alexandria Project.” Egypt lost its Library of Alexandria in 48 B.C. when Julius Caesar burned it to the ground. We don’t intend to lose ours! The Alexandria Project is a rescue mission designed to catalog this treasure and ensure that every image is available to students and scholars the world over for years to come.
In 2017, we launched a pledge campaign to help us build the strong financial foundation to reach our goal: The North American Archaic Library imaged and cataloged in just four years! We asked our supporters to pledge to give each year of the Alexandria Project (2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020).
It’s not too late to become a pledge donor! Pledge today to give in 2018, 2019 and 2020. You will receive the benefits listed under your giving level starting with your first pledge gift.
The Alexandria Project Research Team
From right of #71: Jerod Roberts, Vicky Roberts, (Visiting Scholar Diana Rodillo Rolon), Karen Steelman, Amanda Castaneda, Charles Koenig.
Z $500,000 – January 2017 – June 2017 – Six months preparation, including the Alexandria Project Pilot
Z $2.5 Million – July 2017 – July 2020 – Three years of intensive field work
Z $500,000 – July 2020 – December 2020 – Six months follow-up and final data processing
To make a pledge gift you can give via:
- CHECK: Send your first year gift by check to Shumla P.O. Box 627, Comstock, TX 78837. Note your annual pledge amount and we will remind you each year of the Alexandria Project when it’s time to send your annual gift.
- ONLINE – MONTHLY: Click the button below and elect a “Monthly Donation.” Divide your chosen annual gift amount by 12 months of the year. This amount will be deducted monthly for the four years of the project.
- ONLINE – ANNUALLY: Click the button below and elect a “One Time Donation.” Enter your chosen annual gift and then in the “Designate my Donation” space type the word “Pledge” and we will remind you when it’s time to make your annual gift.
THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS!
Alexandria Project Pledge Drive FAQs
What makes this project so unique?
Why is Shumla looking for four year pledges?
Are my gifts tax deductible?
How does the match work?
This year the Summerlee Foundation has offered to match all 2018 gifts up to $100,000! We are committed to identifying a match every year of the Alexandria Project so all pledge gifts will be 100% matched. When you’re planning your pledge you can double it! That’s the difference you can make to Shumla.
I want to pledge! Will you make it easy and remind me when it’s time to make my pledge payment each year?
How do I pay?
If my company matches my charitable donations, does that count toward my giving level?
Tell me more about these pledge category benefits…
- Project Updates from the Research Director – You will receive four emails per year sharing the progress of the Alexandria Project directly from the Research Director and Research Team, complete with images and exciting discoveries – only for pledge donors.
- End-of-Project Donor Appreciation Event – In October 2020 we will hold a second event for Sustainer, Sponsor and Champion pledge donors to come to Comstock and experience more exciting programming, visit different sites and learn about the final results of the Alexandria Project.
- End-of-Project Sponsor and Champion Reception – Champion & Sponsor level pledge donors will be invited to an exclusive recognition reception with the Shumla Board and Leadership Team at the October 2020 End-of-Project event.
- Private Tour and Alexandria Project “Ride-Along” – Champion level pledge donors may schedule at their convenience a private tour of a rock art site led by a Shumla archaeologist and a ride-along with the Research team on a “day-in-the-life” of the Alexandria Project.
- Discount on fee-based programs – Shumla sometimes runs fee-based tours and camping programs to sites like Dolan Falls. Pledge donors will receive discounts according to their pledge level if they choose to take part in these programs.
- Recognition on the Shumla Website as an Alexandria Project Pledge Donor – We will display our gratitude to our pledge donors on our website, listing them by pledge category on a re-designed “Our Supporters” page.