Alexandria Project Pledge Drive
We’re making history by saving history. Join us!
Shumla’s mission is to preserve the oldest “books” in North America – the rock art murals of southwest Texas. Like ancient books, these murals hold information we can now decipher. They reveal chapters of our history that no one has read in thousands of years.
Shumla has recently launched a four-year project to record all of these rock art sites before they are lost. We call it the “Alexandria Project.” Egypt lost its Library of Alexandria in 48 B.C. when Julius Caesar burned it to the ground. We don’t intend to lose ours! The Alexandria Project is a rescue mission designed to catalog this treasure and ensure that every image is available to students and scholars the world over for years to come.
Please make a pledge to give over the four years of the project. Help us build the strong financial foundation to reach our goal: The North American Archaic Library imaged and cataloged in just four years!
The Alexandria Project Research Team L-R: Jerod Roberts, Vicky Roberts, Karen Steelman, Amanda Castaneda, Charles Koenig, Carolyn Boyd (not pictured)
The Alexandria Project is the most ambitious project Shumla has ever undertaken. To complete four-year project, we must raise $3,000,000.
Z $500,000 – January 2017 – June 2017 – Six months preparation, including the Alexandria Project Pilot
Z $2.5 Million – July 2017 – July 2020 – Three years of intensive field work
Z $500,000 – July 2020 – December 2020 – Six months follow-up and final data processing
To make a four-year pledge gift you can give via:
- CHECK: Send your first year gift by check to Shumla P.O. Box 627, Comstock, TX 78837. Note your annual pledge amount and we will remind you each year of the Alexandria Project when it’s time to send your annual gift.
- ONLINE – MONTHLY: Click the button below and elect a “Monthly Donation.” Divide your chosen annual gift amount by 12 months of the year. This amount will be deducted monthly for the four years of the project.
- ONLINE – ANNUALLY: Click the button below and elect a “One Time Donation.” Enter your chosen annual gift and then in the “Designate my Donation” space type the word “Pledge” and we will remind you when it’s time to make your annual gift.
THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS!
Alexandria Project Pledge Drive FAQs
What makes this project so unique?
No one has ever attempted a project like this anywhere in the world. We are the first to catalog an entire rock art tradition. We are racing against time to preserve the information in these murals, but this project is much more than that. We are collecting data that people all over the world and far into the future will be able to use to answer globally significant questions about the persistence of belief-systems, the peopling of the Americas, the use of art in prehistoric human survival and so much more.
Why is Shumla looking for four year pledges?
First and foremost, we want to build a firm funding foundation for this ambitious project as we move forward. We also want to spend as little money raising money as possible. Pledge giving is the best way to make sure the greatest majority of our funding is spent on programming and as little as possible is spent on the fundraising required to make our programs possible.
Are my gifts tax deductible?
Yes! We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit. Our tax ID number is 74-2869788.
How does the match work?
A generous donor offered a challenge match of $100,000 for 2017. She will match every dollar we receive up to $100,000! We are committed to identifying a match every year of the Alexandria Project so all pledge gifts will be 100% matched. When you’re planning your pledge, double it! That’s the difference you can make to Shumla.
I want to pledge! Will you make it easy and remind me when it’s time to make my pledge payment each year?
How do I pay?
Send your first pledge check to Shumla at P.O. Box 627, Comstock, TX 78837. You may also donate through our online portal. If you donate online, you may choose to enter a monthly amount to be deducted each month for four years. See below for more information.
If my company matches my charitable donations, does that count toward my giving level?
Yes! For example, if you pledge $2,500 each year and your company matches at 100%, that’s $5,000 per year and you are a Supporter. Just think! If you give $2,500 each year for 4 years that’s $10,000. Matched by your company = $20,000. Matched by the Shumla match = $30,000! What a difference you can make!
Tell me more about these pledge category benefits…
- Project Updates from the Research Director – You will receive four emails per year sharing the progress of the Alexandria Project directly from the Research Director and Research Team, complete with images and exciting discoveries – only for pledge donors.
- Mid-Project Donor Appreciation Event – Sustainer, Sponsor and Champion level pledge donors will be invited to Shumla in October 2018 to visit our headquarters, see the stunning landscape, hike to ancient rock art sites, dine at our gorgeous campus and hear about the first two years of the project.
- Mid-Project Sponsor and Champion Reception – Champion & Sponsor level pledge donors will be invited to an exclusive recognition reception with the Shumla Board and Leadership Team at the October 2018 Mid-Project event.
- End-of-Project Donor Appreciation Event – In October 2020 we will hold a second event for Sustainer, Sponsor and Champion pledge donors to come to Comstock and experience more exciting programming, visit different sites and learn about the final results of the Alexandria Project.
- End-of-Project Sponsor and Champion Reception – Champion & Sponsor level pledge donors will be invited to an exclusive recognition reception with the Shumla Board and Leadership Team at the October 2020 End-of-Project event.
- Private Tour and Alexandria Project “Ride-Along” – Champion level pledge donors may schedule at their convenience a private tour of a rock art site led by a Shumla archaeologist and a ride-along with the Research team on a “day-in-the-life” of the Alexandria Project.
- Discount on fee-based programs – Shumla sometimes runs fee-based tours and camping programs to sites like Dolan Falls. Sustainer, Supporter and Champion level pledge donors will receive discounts according to their pledge level if they choose to take part in these programs.
- Recognition on the Shumla Website as an Alexandria Project Pledge Donor – We will display our gratitude to our pledge donors on our website, listing them by pledge category on a re-designed “Our Supporters” page.
What if I can’t take a tour during the mid-project and end-of-project events because of my physical ability?
Never fear, our programming will include exciting activities and presentations for those who choose not to go on rock art tours.
Can I be recognized on the website without my pledge level or choose not to be recognized?
Yes. Recognition is completely up to you.
Can I share this information with my friends who might like to get involved as well?
Yes! Please do!!
I have another question. Who should I call?
Call Jessica Lee, Shumla Executive Director at 972-467-2615 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will be happy to answer any question you may have about the Pledge Drive.