Join us in the gorgeous West Texas desert for a weekend of beauty and adventure!
The weekend will begin on Friday evening with an informal gathering with wine and snacks at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Del Rio. Saturday we will travel together to two remote rock art sites – Crab Shelter and Sunburst Shelter – that offer complex Pecos River Style rock art and fantastic views of the aqua blue Devils River. Then we will head to the Shumla Campus, west of the Pecos River for dinner and evening programming. Afterward, you can stay for stargazing into the night or head on home to rest up. Sunday we will invite you to our new headquarters in Comstock for a light brunch and tour of our state-of-the-art facilities. Those who are willing and able to stay can then take part in a group think tank as we ask you, our most engaged donors, for your thoughts and advice on some aspects of our long-term sustainability planning. And finally, for those who haven’t been to White Shaman, and those who might want to see it again, we will take a trip to the White Shaman Mural Sunday afternoon.
Friday, October 5, 2018
- Kick-off gathering with wine and snacks at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Del Rio begins at 7:00 pm.
Saturday, October 6, 2018
- Depart in vehicle caravan from Hampton Inn & Suites at 7:30 am
- Morning drive to the rock art site access
- Rock art tour to Crab Shelter
- Picnic lunch by the crystal clear Devils River
- Rock art tour to Sunburst Shelter
- Leave for Shumla Harrington Campus
- Dinner and evening program
- Late night stargazing for those who would like to stay
Sunday, October 7, 2018
- Light brunch and tour of new Shumla Headquarters in Comstock begins 8:30 am.
- Chance to chat with you, our partners and friends, to ask your thoughts on some aspects of our long-term strategy.
- White Shaman Tour – The group who would like to stay and take part in this tour will depart Shumla HQ at 10:30 am.
We have reserved a block of rooms at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Del Rio. Prices are $109/night for a standard room and $119/night for a suite. Call 830-775-9700 to make your reservations. You may also stay in another location if you would like to. We will have a meeting point for the Saturday tour for any who are not riding with us from the Hampton Inn & Suites.
PREPARING FOR THE TOUR
- Vehicles and Carpooling – Only 4WD, high clearance vehicles can traverse the road we will be traveling to arrive at the Crab and Sunburst Shelters. If you have a high clearance 4WD vehicle, please bring it. We will need to carpool to cut down on the number of vehicles we take with us.
- Hiking Preparedness – It should be beautiful weather the first weekend of October. Please wear long pants to protect your legs from thorns as you hike. Please wear very comfortable and supportive hiking shoes. The hike to Crab Shelter is short but strenuous and uphill. The hike to Sunburst is much easier. (Some may choose to enjoy the beauty of the Devils River and forgo the hike to Crab, and then enjoy the rock art at Sunburst. That is A-Okay.)
- Water and Snacks – Definitely bring at least one bottle of water. Feel free to bring any snacks that you think you might like during the day. We will provide lunch and some snacks.
SATURDAY EVENING PROGRAM
We will be traveling to Shumla Campus directly from our rock art tours. There will be time when we arrive to relax, enjoy a cold beverage and freshen up a bit if you like. We will have a scrumptious meal prepared and a program to tell you all about the progress of our flagship Alexandria Project.
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE
Plan your travel to meet your needs. We would love to have you attend Friday evening’s gathering and stay all the way through the White Shaman tour. However, we have built our schedule to make Saturday the big hoorah, in the knowledge that arrival times and departure times will vary.
Jessica: email@example.com, 972-467-2615
Veronica: firstname.lastname@example.org, 214-794-2747
We can’t wait to welcome you and celebrate the success of the Alexandria Project!