Public Rock Art Tours
- Seminole Canyon State Park offers tours to Fate Bell Shelter.
- Call the park (432) 292-4464 or check their website for updates.
- Witte Museum – White Shaman Galloway Preserve offers tours to the White Shaman Mural and other sites in the Lower Pecos.
- Tours are offered each Saturday at 12:30 PM, September through May.
- Check the calendar to register for scheduled tours to other rock art sites like Halo Shelter, Curly Tail Panther and Meyers Springs.
Shumla is laser-focused on preserving the endangered rock art of the Lower Pecos. Though most of our resources and time goes to this work, we do periodically run trek experiences to promote engagement and public education. Click here to learn more about Shumla Treks!
“The prehistoric hunter-gatherers of the Lower Pecos Canyonlands of Texas and Coahuila, Mexico, created some of the most spectacularly complex, colorful, extensive, and enduring rock art of the ancient world. Perhaps the greatest of these is the White Shaman mural, an intricate painting that spans some twenty-six feet in length and thirteen feet in height on the wall of a shallow case overlooking the Pecos River.”
Dr. Carolyn Boyd, Author, The White Shaman Mural: An Enduring Creation Narrative in the Rock Art of the Lower Pecos